Varanus indicus or Mangrove Monitor
Did you know...
- The mangrove monitor is one of Australia's most beautiful goanna species.
- Mangrove monitor live along the coast of northern Australia.
- Mangrove monitor lizards are also found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea and the western Pacific islands.
- Mangrove monitor eat fish, crabs, insects, birds, mammals and other reptiles. They will also dig up and eat turtle eggs.
- Female mangrove monitor lizards will lay their eggs in a burrow in soil, or in the rotting centre of a fallen tree.