Morelia carinata or the Rough-scaled Python
Did you know...
- Rough-scaled python was only scientifically recognized in 1981.
- The Rough-scaled Python was found in a very remote part of the Western Australian Kimberley region.
- The Rough-scaled Python is unique among Australian pythons in having keeled (rough) scales.
- Living in such a remote environment has made studying this snake in the wild almost impossible. As such:
- their diet in the wild is unknown, but birds may be a large part of it. - the function of the keeled scales is unknown, but may help the snakes wedge themselves into crevices.
Where Rough-scaled Pythons dwell in Australia: